Side Dishes :
Recipe courtesy of Richard Tamez
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
3/4 cup of white rice
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
1 tablespoon of salt
1 tablespoon of garlic powder
1 medium tomato
1 can of vegetable broth
half of a medium size onion
1. Heat vegetable oil in cooking pan over medium to high heat.
2. Once hot, pour in the rice and brown it evenly.
3. Put sliced tomato and sliced onion, tablespoon of salt, and tablespoon of garlic into a blender and blend at medium speed for a couple of minutes.
4. Once the rice is browned evenly pour in the tomato sauce and stir it unit all the rice is immersed in it.
5. Once ready, pour in the can of vegetable broth.
6. Fill the can half way with water and pour it into the pan (very important - do not stir the vegetable broth or water into the pan).
7. Bring it to a boil and reduce the heat to low and cover it.
8. Keep an eye on it but do not stir, Once all the liquid is gone turn off the heat and let it stand covered for at least ten minutes before serving.
Copyright 2007, 2011 Food Empowerment Project, P.O. Box 7322, Cotati, CA 94931