Makes about 40 churros
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 cups water
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 cups all-purpose flour
1. Combine oil, water, sugar and salt in a heavy bottomed pot on the stove.
2. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
3. Remove from heat.
4. Add flour and stir vigorously with a metal spoon until mixture forms a thick, smooth textured ball.
5. Then let the mixture cool in the pan until warm, not cool.
6. Using a piping bag with a medium sized star tip, pipe logs three to four inches long onto a sheet pan.
7. Let chill.
8. In a heavy bottomed pot, heat canola oil to 350 degrees.
9. Fry churros until golden (maintaining the temperature) and remove with a slotted spoon to drain on paper towels.
10. When cool, roll in cinnamon sugar.
Copyright 2007, 2011 The Food Empowerment Project, P.O. Box 7322, Cotati, CA 94931